Outstanding Tandem Fishing Kayaks
It’s a new year and we had to review our past considerations in terms of the best tandem fishing kayak. So we removed some kayaks and added new ones which are better rated, so you can make an informed decision.
_ _ _
Are you in the market for a 2-person fishing kayak? In this buying guide, we have combed through the leading brands for tandem fishing kayaks for sale. These are angling vessels that allow you to share your experiences out in the water with a partner or even your pet.
To help you land the best tandem fishing kayak in 2020, we have reviewed 6 different models based on features, specifications and best conditions for use.
Why using a 2-person fishing kayak?
Fishing kayaks are an investment worth every coin, that said, making the decision might not be so easy. To put you on the right track here are the pros and cons of using a tandem fishing kayak.
- The tandem design is good for student-trainer arrangement
- Increased speed from having two paddlers
- Extra room for gear and accessories
- More stable than a solo kayak
- Helps you fight loneliness- by having a partner accompany you
- Heavier design than other kayaks
- Difficult to steer- from added water resistance due to the extra length
- Generally more expensive than solo models
The finest tandem fishing kayaks reviewed
- Tequila! GTX Angler Fishing Kayak
- BKC UH-TK181 12-foot 5-inch Sit On Top 2-Person Fishing Kayak with Paddles, Seats, and 7 Fishing Rod Holders included
- Sevylor Coleman Colorado 2-Person Fishing Kayak
- Elkton Outdoors 2-person Fishing Kayak, 12.2 Foot Sit On Top
- Lifetime Tandem Fishing Kayak
- Hobie Mirage Pro Angler 17T + 12v Trolling Motor
1. Tequila! GTX Angler tandem modular kayak
We placed Tequila! Angler on the 1st place on our list not because we promote modular kayaks on the website, but it is an extremely versatile fishing kayak who worth some attention. And because it is one of the best modular kayaks available.
The GTX angler modular kayak is one of the most versatile sit-on-top fishing kayak in the market. This high-performance vessel comes from Point 65, a leader in the production of modular kayaks.
In tandem mode, this boat measures 14 foot with a capacity of 530 lbs, making it a stable and strong kayak. It comes equipped with an excellent tracking keel, allowing you to paddle straight despite its superior weight and build.
It’s well equipped for fishing: In addition to the solo sections, the midsections comes with multiple rod holders. To ensure that your fishing trip is as comfortable as possible, Tequila! GTX has an AIR seat with an adjustable backrest. The model holds against any waters including lakes, open ocean, and rivers. Read the full review of Tequila! GTX Angler to get more information.
2. BKC UH-TK181 12-foot 5-inch Sit On Top 2-Person Fishing Kayak with Paddles, Seats, and 7 Fishing Rod Holders included
This amazing 2-person fishing kayak has the capacity to support plenty of weight and hold plenty of gear. It is adventure-ready no matter you are going into an ocean fishing excursion, trip down a lazy river or paddle solo across the bay. BKC UH-TK181 sit on top tandem 2-person fishing kayak is sturdy enough for two adults and their gear thanks to a 440-pound load capacity.
Here is why it is considered one of the best:
- Features 3 articulated fishing rod holders and 4 flush-mounted rod holders
- Waterproof Storage Hatches
- An inset rear cargo area uses a secure bungee tie-down system so you can stash larger pieces of gear and extra clothing, lashed down for good measure
- Multiple Carrying Handles
- Features two secure paddle rests, so you can free up your hands without the risk of losing your paddles
3. Sevylor Coleman Colorado 2-Person Fishing Kayak
This 2-person fishing kayak is rugged for lake use, being NMMA certified. It features a 1000D tarpaulin bottom and 840D nylon cover provides durable protection from punctures. Multiple air chambers allow another chamber to stay inflated if one is punctured. Sevylor trolling motor fittings expand your fishing capabilities. Airtight System is guaranteed not to leak.
4. Elkton Outdoors 2-person Fishing Kayak, 12.2 Foot Sit On Top
This fishing kayak is built with anglers in mind, being the perfect choice for rivers, lakes or ocean. It has a variety of features that will optimize your fishing experience:
- Mounted adjustable rod holders allow for a versatile fishing experience for any water
- Constructed with a rotomold injected body to ensure your kayak will never crack
- An air tight compartment, two storage areas located on each end of the kayak
- Includes every accessory you need to hit the water including two paddles, two seats, rod holders and bungee cords
5. Lifetime Tandem 2-person fishing kayak
This is a high-quality 2-person fishing kayak that can also comfortably accommodate 3 people. The unit comes with 3-rod holders plus a convenient storage hatch for a versatile fishing experience.
The model can support up to 500 lbs in paddlers’ weight, gear, and load. It’s built from high-density polyethylene which makes for a durable kayak. Moreover, the design allows efficient maneuverability in both solo and tandem modes.
Additionally, it has great tracking and a broad base for excellent stability. The design also allows for easy maneuverability. A major downside with the craft is a small storage compartment that might not work for most anglers.
6. Mirage Pro Angler 17T + 12v Trolling Motor
Paddling and fishing can be tiresome, especially when you have to venture long distances into the open waters. To ease the pressure, you can go for a motorized kayak. Among the most reliable brands in this line of kayaks is the Pro Angler 17T.
This is a 2-person fishing kayak that comes with a platform for fixing a 12v trolling motor. It’s a highly stable kayak, allowing both users to stand and fish on. It can hold up to 900 lbs, making it one of the highest capacity models in the market.
For added versatility, the model comes with multiple (10) rod holders, cup holders, tackle boxes, storage areas, and adjustable seats. The high-tech design, however, comes at a steeper price compared to other designs.
Kayak buyer’s guide – what to look for?
Tracking and Stability – In the kayaking world, tracking refers to the ease of steering and controlling your vessel. While the technique requires a good deal of practice, the design of a kayak contributes heavily. The same goes for stability; a good fishing kayak should hold against waves, sharp turns, and your weight plus that of your catch.
Storage Space – This is one of the essential features of a fishing kayak. Your vessel will need to be spacious enough to hold the catch, baits, rods, and other gear. A kayak with waterproof storage hatches should be handy in this. Space is however limited in kayaks; you need to be well organized and prioritize on what to carry.
Comfortable Seat – Kayaking requires a lot of body movements, and in this case, fishing is tiring as well. This calls for you to be comfortable for an enjoyable experience. For this, you need a comfortable seat. A good seat should allow your back to arch correctly, have a headrest, and most importantly, it should come with enough padding.
Multiple Rod Holders – Fishing rods tend to get tangled hence they need to be well organized. This is what multiple rod holders are for; they keep the rods secure and within reach. They can be inbuilt or come as an accessory. The installations can also be elevated further by the use of Extenders- sold separately.
Multiple Footrests – Paddling requires stamina, most of which comes from bracing your legs for each stroke. The best kayak design incorporates adjustable non-slip footrests. The surfaces should also be multiple to account for different body postures- this gives you greater control of your kayak.
Fish Finder Attachment – One of the best accessories during a fishing trip is a fish finder. Let smart technology work for you by pointing you to the right spots. For this, you will need your waterproof smartphone or a larger onboard fish finder, both of which require an attachment accessory.
Why are fishing kayaks so expensive?
In general, fishing kayaks are expensive because of the materials they are made from and accessories like nice pedal systems, hollow seats, etc. You don’t always need those accessories but almost all manufacturers are adding it and the consumers accept the price increase. Since the special materials are being made with durability in mind, the cost of manufacturing is a bit higher.
Tandem fishing kayaks for sale
There are many sellers offering of 2-person fishing kayaks for sale. Such range from online individual sellers to company-backed websites. You can also acquire these anglers from select stores across many countries. Having said that, among the best marketplace to get yours would be Amazon. Here, you will be assured of unfiltered customer reviews, additional compatible gear, and competitive prices.