Top Fishing Kayaks: Buying Guide & Reviews in 2020
Some links may be affiliate links. We may get paid if you buy something or take an action after clicking one of these. Learn more.
Fishing kayaks have become more and more popular due to their durability, flexibility, and accessories that manufacturers decided to bring in. Therefore, we revised our choices below and for this year we removed some kayaks and added some better options for you. The newest fishing kayak is an innovation from Point 65 – KingFisher modular kayak.
_ _ _
Looking for the best fishing kayak? These kayaks have become very popular in the last few years and as it was expected, there are lots of options for different tastes and needs. We will get into more details below and review some of the best kayaks used for fishing, so you can make an informed decision.
10 Top fishing kayaks in 2020
- Point 65 Tequila! GTX Angler Fishing Kayak
- KingFisher Modular Fishing Kayak
- Vibe Kayaks Sea Ghost 110 11 Foot Angler Sit On Top
- Sun Dolphin Journey 10-Foot Sit-on-top Fishing Kayak
- Lifetime Tamarack Angler 100 Fishing Kayak
- Malibu Kayaks X-Factor Fish and Drive
- Ocean Kayak Prowler Angler Fishing
- Hobie Mirage Pro Angler Kayak
- Native Watercraft Ultimate Propel Copperhead Kayak
- BKC UH-TK181 12.5-foot Sit-On-Top Tandem Fishing Kayak
Sit-On-Top Kayaks – These are constructed using a double-hull construction such that there is an enclosed air space between the inner and outer hull which traps air inside. What does this mean? Well, it means that sit-on-top fishing kayaks are literally unsinkable.
Sit-In Kayaks – usually have a large cockpit with adjustable padded seat with high back support, adjustable foot braces and are made of rugged UV-stabilized fortiflex high-density polyethylene. They also carry handles and water bottle holders. See all options out there, whether we talk about cheap fishing kayaks for sale or used fishing kayaks this is the selection we have prepared for you. Select the one best suited for your needs.
1. Point 65 Tequila! GTX Angler
Tequila! GTX Angler is the most popular sit-on-top fishing kayak. This is a modular kayak that can be easily carried around in the back of most cars and store under your bed. Thanks to the patented Snap-Tap system, the Tequila! Angler snaps apart into manageable sections and reassembles in seconds. It is a safe, stable and strong fishing kayak. You can use it as a solo model or, in only a few seconds, it can turn into a tandem version to enjoy it with your friends and family. It does provide the ultimate seat comfort thanks to the AIR seat that features a pneumatically adjustable backrest, offering the paddler a very comfortable seating position that can also be adjusted very easily. In terms of measurements, the Tequila! GTX Angler has 416 cm in length, 75 cm in width, weighs 35 kg and has a 240 kg capacity and 166 cm front section. See the Tequila’s full review or check out this useful video review to learn more.
2. KingFisher Modular Fishing Kayak
The KingFisher modular fishing kayak is the most stable fishing kayak you can get. The balance and stability are excellent even it’s more narrow than most fishing kayaks. Incredibly well balanced, the trimaran hull gives this fishing kayak the solid stability, lightning speed, and straight-as-an-arrow tracking power.
It is featuring one of the most comfortable seats on the market and in combination with world-class stability, speed, and logical accessory positioning, makes the KingFisher modular kayak a great platform for fishing of all kinds.
It has a sleek 31.1” (79cm) beam – most fishing kayaks are 35” (90cm) wide. Thanks to the KingFisher’s modern trimaran hull, it’s faster & more nimble, while being easier to carry, transport and store without compromising on stability.
Another great challenge was solving the weight problem. If you’ve ever tried heaving a fishing kayak up onto the roof of your car, you know the feeling. They are just too heavy and cumbersome. Until now. Point 65’s proven, patented, Snap-Tap modular system, allows the kayak to snap apart into two, manageable sections that fit inside most cars. The process of snapping it apart takes only a couple of seconds.
Features and Technical Details:
- Modular -splits apart for easy storage, carrying and transport
- Sections come together and split apart in less than 10 seconds
- Fit’s in most cars, weighs 67 lbs
- Snap-Tap modular connection system keeps all sections securely latched together
- Each section floats independently
- Trimaran hull for stability, tracking & speed
- Made of strong, impact- and UV-resistant, maintenance-free and recyclable 1-layer HTP Polyethylene
- Super efficient, twin rudders for maneuverability
- Dual steering handles with fingertip control.
- KingFisher Game Chair, slides on tracks with adjustable height
- Rear cargo area with bungees and floor mounted rails
- Length: 11″ / 331 cm
- Length front section: 67″ / 171 cm
- Length back section: 65.5″ / 166 cm
- Width: 31″ / 79 cm
- Weight 70 lbs / 32 kg
- Weight front section: 35 lbs / 16 kg
- Weight front section: 35 lbs / 16 kg
- Front hatch: 11.4″ x 15″ / 29 cm x 38 cm
- Rear hatch: 12.2″ x 19.2″ / 31 cm x 49 cm
- Capacity: 286 lbs / 130kg
- Rudder: Yes, Dual
3. Vibe Kayaks Sea Ghost 110 11 Foot Angler Sit On Top
The Sea Ghost 110 is a 11-foot sit-on-top angler kayak which has one of the most customizable gear space and work deck, and the 425 pounds of hauling capacity means you can bring it all. It has an integrated rudder system, rigging and storage options, being probably the most advanced premium angling watercraft of its kind with the greatest assortment of storage and features.
Why is considered one of the best fishing kayaks?
- Amazing comfort – the dual position Vibe Hero seat provides comfort and support for long days on the water
- Great control – Pre-installed toe controlled rudder system saves your energy during long paddles, windy days, and strong currents
- Ultra-quiet pontoon-style fishing-stealth hull design
- 8″ Sealed V-Wave Deck Plate With Waterproof Cargo Bags
- Universal Mount For Fish Finder Transducer Or Other Rectangular Base Accessories
- 6 x Top-Loading Gear Tracks For Ultimate Customization
- 2 x Flush Mounted Fishing Rod Holders and many more
4. Sun Dolphin Journey 10-Foot Sit-on-top Fishing Kayak
This fishing kayak is amazing for lakes and rivers. It is lightweight and easy to carry. It offers maximum stability. Rugged UV-stabilized Fortiflex High-Density Polyethylene. Contain 2 flush mount rod holders. One swivel rod holder. Large open cockpit. Adjustable padded seat. Storage compartment. Shock cord deck rigging. Adjustable foot braces.Water bottle holder. Protective thigh pads.
5. Lifetime Tamarack Angler 100 fishing kayak
Another top fishing kayak from Lifetime which is constructed of uv-protected high-density Polyethylene and provides multiple footrest positions for different size riders. Here are some other features:
- Adjustable padded seat back and seat pad for comfort. Two flush-mounted fishing rod holders. One top mount fishing rod Holder
- Front and rear shock cord straps. Two 6″ storage compartments in rear and center. One paddle keeper, one adult black paddle
- Front and rear t-handles for easy transport. Deep hull tracking channels
6. Malibu Kayaks X-Factor Fish and Drive
Measuring 14-feet, 14-inches long, 33-inches wide and weighs 62 pounds with a maximum capacity of 625 pounds, Malibu Kayaks X-Factor is equipped with a large front and rear dive wells and has a Gator Hatch on the front that can accommodate a child seat. The large center hatch is equipped with self-draining trays, a cup holder and carry handles. The X-Factor Kayak is backed by a limited lifetime warranty from Malibu Kayaks.
7. Ocean Kayak Prowler Angler Fishing
Ocean Kayak Prowler Angler Fishing is one of the most original and popular kayaks designed specifically for fishing. It is fast, stable and quiet and it can handle both calm and rough waters. It has a rear oversized tank designed to easily accept coolers, crates, tackle boxes, bait wells and SCUBA tanks. The model also has Comfort Plus seat, 2-rod holders, 6-inch hatch with storage bucket, 2 cup holders, 2 paddle keeps, transducer compatible, skid plate.
8. Hobie Mirage Pro Angler Kayak
Hobie Mirage Pro Angler kayak is equipped with everything you need to maximize your fishing trip. The model features utility trays, finger-tip steering, mesh-covered storage pockets, vertical rod storage, 12-inch in length, 36-inch in width and weighs 105 lbs. It has 500 lbs. capacity. If you need more details on this incredible model, you will find plenty on Amazon.
9. Native Watercraft Ultimate Propel Copperhead Kayak
Native Watercraft Ultimate Propel Copperhead Kayak is an awesome kayak, from fishing to just cruising the waterways. It is safe, stable and extremely comfortable. The model measures 13 inches in length, 32.5 –inch in width and it has a maximum capacity of 400 lbs. It comes with a built-in battery box for power supply to electronics, built-in transducer mount underneath hull and a huge under-seat storage area. The Native Watercraft also comes with multiple groove track rail mounts bow-to-stern for easy personalization.
10. BKC UH-TK181 12.5-foot Sit-On-Top Tandem Fishing Kayak
BKC UH-TK181 12.5-foot Sit-On-Top Tandem Fishing Kayak is a 2-person tandem fishing kayak. It measures 12.5-feet in length, 34-inches beam and weighs 68 pounds. It is perfect for fishing, but also for travel, exercise, and recreation. It is equipped with multiple storage areas, featuring waterproof storage compartments for wallets, keys and the rear cargo area comes with elastic tie-downs for larger gear. The paddle rests let you go hands-free without ending up paddle-less. The manufacturer offers a 5-year warranty just so you can enjoy your activity in peace.
How to choose the best fishing kayak?
A fishing kayak should be designed to support fast maneuvering and assume operators will be actively engaged in supporting those movements. This offers great stability while performing certain fishing tasks. When choosing a top rated fishing kayak, make sure you take a good look at different characteristics like length, weight, width, seat, stand and fish capability, storage and propulsion. Also, if a kayak has several of the below design features and accessories, it means it is a good kayak.
- Design features: beam width, material quality, storage type, storage amount/volume, seating, hull type, overall stability.
- Accessories: rod holders, mounting rails, cooler accommodation, paddle holders, fasteners & straps, foot pegs, thigh hooks, thigh hooks.
Some of these features are focal points of many of the best kayaks for fishing available on the market at the moment. Just to make an idea, the most expensive models, usually have mounting rails for trolling motors and smaller boat motors. As mentioned above, make sure you pay attention to the width of the kayak. If you intend to use it in the ocean and on lakes, smaller sizes are well suited and preferred by most people.
Kayak fishing gear
We all know phones are very present in our lives now, maybe more than our close ones. With this in mind, the specialists have come up with the EOTW Waterproof Case Dry Bag Cell Phone Pouch making sure your device is secure.
Another interesting find is the Venterior Portable Fish Finder, Fishfinder with Wired Sonat Sensor Transducer and LCD display. What it does is it detects and displays the depth of the water, approximates the location of the fish, short and tall weeds, sand and rocks on the seabed. Quite smart, right?
Life vests are also available, just so that you can enjoy your day on the water. All these and many more can be acquired from Amazon.
Are fishing kayaks worth it?
Yes, totally. But it also depends on your needs. Both canoe and kayaks are great for fishing. A kayak would create the comfort you need and will come equipped with the right accessories. You could opt for a modular fishing kayak for smarter storage.
Why are fishing kayaks so expensive?
Usually, fishing kayaks come with a higher price mostly because of the two reasons: materials used and accessories. Kayak manufacturers are using durable and ultra-light materials which increase the price. Also, most of the manufacturers are adding nice accessories like nice pedal systems, hollow seats, removable skid plates, and other features. Do you need all of these? Probably not, but this creates a competitive environment and almost all of them are putting extra accessories.